San Diego, CA. (April 24, 2023) – NewMark Merrill Companies, a Calabasas, California-based retail shopping center owner and development company, announced that May 2023 marks the firm’s 20-year anniversary of when the company opened its San Diego Division office to oversee the San Diego, Riverside and Orange County regions. In 2003, NewMark Merrill’s founder Sandy Sigal partnered with John Hickman (Managing Director) to open and lead the region’s office in Oceanside, California.
Highlights of the company’s success with its San Diego Area Office:
- The San Diego Division has more than $1 billion in shopping centers under management in San Diego, Riverside and Orange Counties.
- Operators (owner, manager, leasing) of 33 shopping centers across San Diego County, Orange County and Riverside County encompassing 3.3 million square feet of retail space.
- Portfolio of more than 550 shopping center tenants across the San Diego Division portfolio, including Albertsons, Sprouts, Ralphs, Target, Walmart, Marshalls, Nordstrom Rack, PetSmart, ULTA, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Kohl’s, CVS, McDonalds, In-N-Out, Starbucks, and many others.
- Involved in managing some of the areas most notable shopping centers: Mission Marketplace in Oceanside, Grand Plaza in San Marcos, Piazza Carmel in Carmel Valley, Terra Nova Plaza in Chula Vista, Nordahl Marketplace in San Marcos, University Square in San Diego, Rancho Bernardo Village in Rancho Bernardo, and El Cajon Town & Country in El Cajon.
- Recently started construction of Melrose Landing, a two-tenant development leased to Wendy’s and Dutch Bros. in Vista, California
- Active supporter of several community organizations including Operation Game On which supports combat injured veterans.
“Despite headwinds in the market, key leasing and sales metrics in our San Diego Division portfolio has remained very strong,” said John Hickman, NewMark Merrill Managing Director. “We are confident that we will meet any industry challenges that might come our way as we remain focused on helping our merchants and properties meet consumer entertainment, dining, retail and services needs.”
About NewMark Merrill Companies
NewMark Merrill Companies, Inc. owns or manages a portfolio of over 95 shopping centers valued at more than $2.7 billion. Since 1987, President and Chief Executive Officer Sandy Sigal has led the company of shopping centers representing over 2,000 tenants and 12 million square feet in California, Colorado, and Illinois. The Company has founded and invested heavily in BrightStreet Ventures, its technology company, which is working on leading edge solutions for landlords and tenants to succeed in today’s retail environment. For more information, please visit NewMarkMerrill.com.